People naturally have quite a few questions they ask us before coming out on one of our rides. Here we try to answer some of the more popular ones for you. If you have any other questions about cycling in general or about our activities, please e-mail us on
WHEN DO WE RIDE?
Non-members please read the next section.
Saturdays 8am, or 9.00am
Depending on the time of year (email firstname.lastname@example.org
for the prevailing start time) in Richmond Park - 4 laps (28miles) in groups of 8 doing "through and off". Meet at Pen Ponds car park. Coffee afterwards at Roehampton Gate Cafe. Download this PDF
for really useful tips on our Park Ride.
- Group ride out to Surrey Hills, Windsor and other destinations according to interest and group pace. 50 - 60 miles usually including a cake stop. Meet at Hampton Court Bridge next to station.
Wednesdays 7.00 pm
- Chertsey loop 28 miles or maybe laps of Richmond Park if day-light permits. Meet at Richmond Gate.
Thursdays 9.30 am
- Various destinations including Windsor, Fairoaks Airport and Surrey Hills (c 50 miles inc cake stop). Meet at Hampton Court Bridge next to station.
Park Ride Guidance Notes for Marshals
Park Ride Guidance Notes for Riders and Group Leaders
Sunday Club Run Guidance Notes
DO I NEED TO BE A CLUB MEMBER TO RIDE?
Yes you do*. You will need to attend one of our monthly Newcomer's Rides in Richmond Park which take place on the first Saturday of every month throughout the year. These are linked to our Richmond Park Ride â€“ check out the details on the website for time and meeting place.
We are delighted to welcome new faces to our Saturday Newcomers Ride, so please feel free to come and try. If you enjoy your outing and would like to ride with us again, then YOU WILL NEED TO BECOME A CLUB MEMBER.
Once you have joined London Dynamo, and after you have gained confidence and fitness on the Richmond Park Ride, you are welcome to join any of our other rides, but not before. All our rides are for members only, with the exception of the Newcomers Ride.
*If you are a BCF Category 3 (or above) Race License holder, then we may be able to fast-track your application. Contact email@example.com
for more information.
*Over 18 visitor riders are permitted to join a club ride so long as they are accompanied by a member at all times during their time with us. The member must vouch for the visitor's competency and remain responsible for their welfare during their time with us. Should a member wish to bring an individual visitor to more than two club rides in a year, he should first speak with a committee member.
If you are a very experienced cyclist and a member of a BCF cycling club, but do not know a London Dynamo member who can both vouch for you and chaperone you, you may still be able to ride with us (though this is in no way guaranteed) if you email firstname.lastname@example.org
explaining your background and when you'd like to ride.
HOW FIT DO I HAVE TO BE?
If you can ride 28 miles (four laps of Richmond Park) in under 1hr 40mins (25mins per lap) you should be fit enough to ride with our slower Richmond Park Ride groups and could therefore try us out at one of our monthly Newcomer's Rides in Richmond Park.
If you cannot meet this pacing requirement (and are unlikely to be able to do so with training) but would still like to consider joining, please contact us at email@example.com We are not making promises, but we may still be able to accommodate you.
If you join the club, and can ride 50 miles or so and have ridden the Park Ride a few times, then you are fit enough to try another of our rides. Please be aware that the 4 principal climbs on the Surrey Hills ride can be quite tough if you are unused to "big efforts".
IS EVERYONE ELSE FAST? WHAT IF I CAN'T KEEP UP?
The Saturday Park Ride is designed to accommodate everyone and is broken down into groups of abilities. The fast group set off first followed by fast/intermediate, intermediate, and steady. If you fail to stay with your group you'll be able to join the next group behind.
Our other rides vary in pace and destination, but some on a Sunday are at mainly conversation-pace, although the distance can be 50 - 60 miles. We ride in groups, everyone stops for punctures, and we never leave anyone behind - we want to encourage people to join us, not put them off. If you are concerned about keeping up, particularly on the Surrey Hills Ride, ask an experienced club member for some advice.
DO I NEED ALL THE KIT?
- You will need a reliable racing bike with dropped handlebars and preferably clip-in pedals.
- You must wear a helmet.
- After you have joined, you will be expected to purchase our excellent cost price kit from our on-line mail-order service.
- The wearing of club kit on club rides is obligatory.
- Clothing to cope with cooler/wetter weather if the season requires it – again, we have the required kit for you to purchase.
- You will need to bring along a spare inner tube, a pump, and tyre leavers.
- A bottle filled with an energy drink/water and energy food/bar/gels too.
- Other useful if not obvious items include a small multi-tool, a pack-away rain jacket, some cash for tea and cake and a phone for emergencies and potentially mapping.
- We don't abandon people if they puncture or have mechanical problems - in fact, we all stop and help.
- However, it's your duty to ensure that you come prepared for things such as punctures and that your bike is well maintained, safe, and fit for the distance.
When joining the rides outside of Richmond Park, other useful items include a small multi-tool, a pack-away rain jacket and some cash for tea and cake. We don't abandon people if they puncture or have mechanical problems - in fact, we all stop and help. However, it's your duty to ensure that you come prepared for things such as punctures and that your bike is well maintained, safe, and fit for the distance.