How to join London Dynamo
In a nutshell...
1. Complete a Newcomers' Ride - no need to book - dates and details below
2. Register online afterwards (subject to approval)
3. Payment will be taken by Direct Debit (once your approval has been confirmed)
What it costs...
• £70 (on joining) / £60 (at renewal) per year for Senior members
• £25 per year for Youth & Juniors, Student and Distant members
• You must wear club kit on our rides, so you'll also need at least a jersey (£53-£59) or gilet (£69)
1. Complete a Newcomers' Ride
To ensure every new member is (a) aware of what they will get from the club and what the club expects from them, and (b) a competent rider with the right equipment.
Only those holding a British Cycling 3rd category or better racing licence may be exempted (if this applies to you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org).
Under 18s cannot join the club via this route and should instead contact email@example.com about a separate juniors' induction process. Also, see the Juniors section of our website.
We cannot and do not organise individual assessments.
When and where?
January: 1st Saturday 9am (unless New Year's Day)
February: 1st Saturday 9am
March: 1st Saturday 8:30am
April: 1st and 3rd Saturdays 8am
May: 1st and 3rd Saturdays 8am
June: 1st and 3rd Saturdays 8am
July: 1st and 3rd Saturdays 8am
August: 1st Saturday 8am
September: 1st and 3rd Saturdays 8am
October: 1st Saturday 8am
November: 1st Saturday 8am
December: 1st Saturday 9am
For more detailed information about the Park Ride, please see What We Do > Our Rides.
What happens on the day?
Please arrive a little before the allocated start time to be briefed and placed in a mixed ability group which will usually do three laps of the park (approximately 20 miles) at a moderate pace, finishing at Roehampton Gate cafe.
If your group leader is happy for you to join, he or she will (a) give you his / her name, and (b) take your first and family name and pass it on to the Membership Secretary (so that if you apply, the Membership Secretary can see that you’ve attended and passed a Newcomers’ Ride).
- You will need to be a safe and reasonably experienced cyclist who is confident riding in close proximity to others.
- You will need a road bike (no tri bars) and a helmet.
- Please do not contact us in advance - just turn up!
- If we think that you are not fit enough to keep up with our group rides, you may be asked to train further before attending another Newcomers' Ride. Please do not be offended if this happens as it is done to ensure you can ride with the Club should you join.
- Age or infirmity may mean you are slower than you'd like to be (despite being fit) and can't keep up. If this could be you, so long as you don't expect our groups to cycle at your pace, you may be allowed to join. But you'll still need to be assessed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
2. Register online (provided you were approved on the Newcomers' Ride)
London Dynamo is run entirely by volunteers and is committed to organising its own races and events in addition to helping out at others through its Helping Out Programme. So once you have joined, you will be obliged to lend a hand. This is not arduous, invariably fun, there are a range of options, and it typically involves between one and four occasions per year. Members who fail to Help Out may not be permitted to renew their membership (at the discretion of the Committee).
Alternatively, a limited number of pricier Non-Helping Out Memberships are available on a first come - first served basis, which removes this obligation. Be absolutely sure to choose this option unless you wish to join the majority of members who "do their bit" and fully participate.
Once you have signed up, our Membership Secretary will then verify that you have approval to join the club.
Click the button below to start your registration:
- Emails from our membership email address are sometimes incorrectly identified as junk. If you do not receive our email, please check your junk folder.
- The approval process is NOT automatic and, depending on the other commitments of our volunteer Membership Secretary, may take 48 hours or longer.
3. Reduced rate membership categories
A reduced rate of membership is offered to members who fall into one of the following categories:
- Youth & Juniors: members aged from 8-18.
- Student: members under 23 or in full-time education.
- Distant: members who live at least 25km from Hampton Court Bridge and only occasionally ride with the club.
Once you have been approved by our Membership Secretary, your first Direct Debit payment will be taken. If you did not set up a Direct Debit mandate during registration, you will be invited to do so now, and your membership is not valid until the mandate is in place. Membership runs for 12 months from the the date on which you are approved, or the date on which your DD mandate is in place if you did not create it when you signed up.